From:
"Mark D. Egloff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 09:14:02 EST
     After my overwintered queen flew away during manipulations over
     a week ago, I sweated out the week until I could get into the
     hive and see what was what.
     (BTW, thank you all for your advice and response to my original
     posting.  It helped.)
     Well, this past weekend I got into that hive to see what I
     could see.  Outside observations included bees, lots of them
     coming in and out, but they must have been bringing nectar, for
     I saw no pollen capsules.  (They may have been there but I did
     not see them.)

     Inside, the bees had started drawing out the three round
     sections I placed on them last week.  But, when I looked
     through the brood chamber, I saw only a couple of frames which
     contained capped brood.  No larvae, no eggs, and no queen.

     Drats!

     Since I didn't have another queen handy, I pulled a frame of
     eggs and young larvae and placed it in this now queenless hive.
     I can supplement this hive with additional brood from my other
     existing hives (2) over the next several weeks and I have a
     queen on order to be delivered later on this month.

     I do not have any questions, but any observations or advice you
     all might have would be received with gratitude.  I am certain
     that I am making a big deal out of something that may be a old
     standard problem for "youse big guys" and as a result no
     biggie.  But for me, that queenless hive represents 33% of my
     stock and 50% of my overwintered stock.  (For the first time in
     four years I got two hives through the winter without mite
     kill) so it is a big deal.