From:
Donald V Israel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 13:13:00 -0600
Interesting posts on bee space. I have equipment from different
suppliers plus some home made stuff. I looked in on three hives today
and found severe burr comb between the brood box and super. I'll look at
the depth of the cut the next time and take notice. Maybe some one has
pin pointed what is causing the problem.

I opened three hives today. It is warm and sunny in North Carolina
today. I put strips on to check mites on two hives and sprinkled
powdered teremicen on the top bars. One hive is a swarm I captured from
my stock last year. I did not requeen it and it is rather weak. It
really built up strong in the summer. It was also very aggressive
today(much more so than the others). The other two have store bought
queens. I'll keep a close eye on it and may requeen as soon as I can get
one.

I read a post recently on observation hives and how to keep the bees
from qlueing the plexiglass to the body. Can someone please refresh my
memory?

I have plastic frames in two of the hives I opened today. It looks
pretty good and I was really surprised at how easy the frames came out.
The bees had not glued them together or to the hive body. I may try some
in shallow surers this year.

Beeing your friend
Don