From:
Ernie Huber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 13:45:04 -0500
Randy saud: <Ernie, it works in both directions!>.

The statement “.”Colonies are weakened by environmental
pollution are more susceptible to pathogens” makes a perjorative
comparison. If the statement is reversed, as Peter worded it, then
 it would imply that it would be desireable to reduce the pathogens
 first- never mind the consequences of environmental pollution. I
am greatly concerned about the build up of environmental
pollutants at low levels in our groundwater and our plants and our trees.
We can't keep doing what we have been doing in the past. The long
lived systemics seem like a step in the wrong direction. Hasn't it
been shown that there is a trade off of dose required to produce
an effect with time of exposure- such that an acute LD50 of 8 nanograms
per bee, for instance, would convert to a chronic LD50 of perhaps
less than 1, or even 0.1, nanogram per bee ?
                                                 Ernie Huber