Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:27:08 -0500
Their
> requirements for beekeeping appear to have been translated from a foreign
> language by a non-beekeeper.  They are not able to be met in the usual
>  English
> environment, but might just be possible if one has access to  wilderness.
>  Some of
> their requirements don't accord with my views of good  bee-husbandry in any
> case.

Sounds like the original Maine produced organic requirements (made up by a
hobby beekeeper in the State organic organization- his rules fit his
location and lack of beekeeping knowledge) which made it into the national
requirements and eventually world wide. Totally unrealistic and modified a
bit, but not much. From all I have seen, honey probably has the most
stringent organic requirements of any food. There is a lot of pressure to
modify those requirements.

 As far as the language, well you have to live here in Maine to understand
that. When we gave blood, one of the people who worked for me in New York
was asked, "Have you been to a foreign country recently?", replied, "Yes,
Maine."

As noted, what is "organic" can differ from country to country. The most
stringent are the US requirements, but, unless they have been approved, all
you need is a "certifying agent" and usually even their requirements are
regional and differ from place to place. Add the problem of foreign
certification, and the label loses all meaning. All you need is one apiary
to get organic certification and from then on it is the honor system that
the honey actually comes from that apiary.

At my local natural foods store, organic honey is priced double, at the
least, of the local honey on the shelves. So there is incentive to cheat.

Great post by Richard. My belief is more people do prefer "local" than
organic and we have many local farmer's markets in the area that are doing
very well. Cannot vouch for their food sources since it is difficult to grow
tomatoes in Maine in the winter. But we do have greenhouse produce in Maine
in the winter, so cannot rule it out.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine