From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 07:27:20 -0800
Amitraz is the de facto mite control used in the US. I wouldn't assume that it was pulled from the market due to contamination. I thought I read the EPA considered all pesticides and the overall footprint in our environment. If I have my facts right, it is the active ingredient in flea collars and would be considered a major footprint in that regard.
I'm not sure it was even pulled from the market. Maybe Jerry would have more info in re: to the real deal. I do remember some beekeepers making a stink that the last amitraz strips available years ago made the bees die. That's shooting ourselves in the foot.

Also, I will say my two cents in regards to the ongoing "sustainable" chit-chat about keeping bee healthy and alive. All the soft controls I've tried (and I think I've tried them all and continue to some soft treatments) are unreliable at best. Period.

I'm all for breeding bees that thrive (and we do) in our operation. And trying to control mites with soft controls(we do). The underlying fact is the American honey bee is not yet able to cope with mites without help from the beekeeper.  We do need something to fall back on and Amitraz is the best for now. I don't expect to see bees evolve to be truly resistant to mites in my lifetime (I'm almost 60). Maybe some day, but for now we just do what we have to to protect our bees from the ravages of vampire mites and to me, that's good beekeeping. Anyone who lets their bees die to an extreme is moronic to me, as the mites will kill them all. Every single one.

Kirk

Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
St. Ambrose Meadery/Winery- sister business of Sleeping Bear
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........
Beekeeping Journal Blog   thoughts on beekeeping
Facebook for Kirk
Facebook for the Benzie Playboys