From:
john acuff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 20:02:59 -0700
Hi Bee people.  I have been reading this group for a week or so. Normally I
would just read and learn but I have a problem someone might be willing to
advise me on.

I bought two packages that arrived about April 10 and got both installed but
when, after a few days, I opened one of the new hives I found the queen had
died in the cage.   I have come to the conclusion that the queen probably died
due to chill, that was due to my panic with that package at installation. I
couldn't get the bees out of the cage in a timely manner and there was a cloud
of them ... and I just freaked.  I did the best I could but knew the queen
wasn't covered but thought the bees would just go to her.  I now know it was
most likely to cold for them and she and many of the bees died.  I combined
the survivors with the first package and I think all is well.

I then bought another 3 lbs and queen and they came today!  Nice day, low
70's  bright sunshine and a slight breeze.  I read the section of my book, The
Beekeepers Handbook, on package installation etc and had it down pat.  I
observed that the queen cage was hanging by a strip of metal, bent over to
keep it from falling in.  Well, one mistake I made the first time was a
reluctance to jar the package on the ground sharply enough, so I gave it a
good one and lifted the can and went for the metal strip and it was gone!
Into the cage, hanger and all and I could barely see it.  I was already stung
once but I was somewhat determined to find it, but alas I hadn't the courage
plus another lady bee gave up her life to sting me.
I had fixed everything else in advance, ie the feeder was full of syrup, I had
a fresh pollen substitute in place and an empty hive body at hand to place
over the feeder and patty.

Finally, and with apologies for such a ramble, should I go in ASAP or should I
let them settle down for three or four days.  They were very angry at me even
after a couple of hours.  A pair was buzzing around my head some fifty feet
from the hive.