From:
Seth Charbonneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2019 22:02:05 +0000
Randy wrote
"Seth, if it were the case that a landowner could keep his bees within his property lines, then I'd see your point"

Perhaps the property is then to small to keep bees on...lol

My point was this isn't the commons, its privately held land and my personal feelings are no beekeeper has a "right" to another's private property.
As in my rabbit brush example Why should a few hobby beekeepers with the land minority, dictate the actions of a larger landholder.

In my opion, the only ethical way to do things, would be to study the carrying capacity and develop animal units, then to alow people to turn out on to "the commons" a number of head scaled to their property size. This is how things worked with the grazing association I was involved with.  But that would likely have a negative effect on many of the small hobbyists with just a postage stamp yard

I am well aware of the problem,  I keep in the suburbs, Beekeeping is a "thing" out here, and over grazing is a problem,  In my main yard wile I am in a spot zoned for a beekeeping operation, but I am surrounded by back yards with 2-3 hives in them (7 sites with in a 1.5 mile radius that I am a ware of, likely many more hiding in fenced back yards)+ I had another keeper drop 20 hives next to me, now neither of us make much honey in that yard.  Don't get me wrong as a beekeeper I am mad, guy needs to move off my spot, but form an ethics stand point he and his land owner have as much right as I do

I am not saying heading off the issue is wrong, but I don't like being told how I can use my land. And I see it as wrong to tell one land owner they can't keep bees or rent out there land to a beekeeper do to their neighbor doing it all ready, there needs to be room for both land owners rights, this likely means the  1st land owner/keeper are taking more then their fair share and needs to cut back.  But no established beekeeper in their right mind is going to vote to cut back there hive count so  the guy next door can have more.

Remember I am taking this on from a land rights perspective, not a beekeeper one.
Seth C