From:
Kris Baert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2016 13:28:35 +0000
>What I find to be an interesting question - could the DWV have been carried by the queen?  If the queen was parasitized by varroa and contaminated with DWV in the beeyard that she was raised, could she now be carrying the virus and sharing it with her offspring?

Hello Larry,

DWV is vertically transmitted but does not produce overt clinical symptoms through this transmission route.

"Artificial insemination of virgin queens laying DWV-negative eggs with DWV-positive sperm resulted in 100% DWV-positive fertilized eggs. DWV-positive unfertilized eggs developed into DWV-infected drones and DWV-positive fertilized eggs developed into DWV-infected workers neither of which exhibited any clinical symptoms."

“extract from table: Vertical transmission:

Acute overt infection type (crippled wings, death): NO

Chronic overt infection type (learning deficits, reduced longevity): ?

Persistent covert infection type (no obvious symptoms) : YES”

" Overt DWV infections with the manifestation of clear disease symptoms (malformed appendages, shortened and bloated abdomens, miscolouring) are closely associated with the vectorial transmission of DWV by V. destructor, i.e., transmission by “injecting” the virus into pupae. Although consensus exists in the literature that transmission of DWV to pupae through parasitizing mites is the prerequisite for the development of deformed wings, the exact mechanism behind this clinical symptom remains elusive."

See De Miranda and Genersh, 2010, Deformed wing virus, Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, Volume 103, Supplement, January 2010, Pages S48–S61

Best regards,

Kris

Belgium