From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2013 19:56:14 -0400
In a message dated 8/11/2013 4:46:57 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Is it  possible that we could use BeeL  to organise widespread
experiments/observations that, through all using the same methods and
recording the observations in the same way could result in useful
scientific data being produced?

In the 80s, I conducted group science, with about 200 volunteers taking
samples and making measurements as part of a landscape level study of
pollution  dispersion from multiple industrial, traffic, and urban sources around
Commencement Bay in the Yelm to Whidbey Island area, south to north of
Seattle.  Got if published in SCIENCE.

We even had independent quality audits from EPA, and proved that group
science can work.  HOWEVER, I had to do a lot of training, went to lots of  bee
club meetings, and went out and met with or picked up samples from most of
our volunteers.  Without close coordination and monitoring of performance,
this approach will likely fail.  We wrote about our experience and
published an article about our finding.

For example, we found that commercial beekeepers were good at supplying
locations, access to bees; but generally inconsistent in terms of taking
samples  on any form of schedule.  Truck breaks down, crew member fails to show
for  work, first thing to go is taking samples or making measurements for a
study.  Also, they just can't bring themselves to not replace a failing
queen, add frames of brood, anything to help out  a weak colony - which may  be
the data point most needed.

Hobby beekeepers were more likely to carry through, but  inexperience was
often a problem; and more often than not, I'd spend a  lot of time answering
questions, problem solving, and other issues that were  more related to
basic beekeeping than the study.  That was back in the days  when all phone
calls were long-distance and pricey.  Had to have a  large communications
budget.

So, I don't think  this will work with Bee-L UNLESS you  can get  everyone
to follow the study guidelines, hit target dates, and do things the  same
way as everyone else.  And, then, you  still need some way to  assess that the
study guidelines were followed.  That takes a  director/coordinator, who
even if willing to volunteer her/his time, still needs  a travel budget to
check on things.

I've spent 40 years running large, mutli-disciplinary studies involving
large numbers of individuals, and often several institutions and   government
agencies.  Directing these kinds of studies is a MAJOR  job.  This isn't
something that you just launch  with  a wish  list for what you'd like folks to
do.  Biggest problem is that volunteers  DO NOT have to do anything.  So,
one  spends a lot of time  trying  to get everyone  to do what they said
they'd do, and the  experimental design has to have sufficient redundancy to
make up for data gaps -  sorry, we were too busy, the kids came to visit, the
dog got sick, the horse  kicked over the hive, etc.

And, if they can't follow directions, but something goes wrong with their
bees, the  director is at fault.  I had to pay for beehives that the
volunteer heat stroked by putting a pollen trap on the hive in the middle of a
hot, sunny afternoon.  Incoming bees jammed up trying to figure out how to
get in.   The  DIRECTIONS clearly warned of this, but the  volunteer wasn't
going to accept that  it was his mistake.  It was  evident that he  was not
happy and would make this a big issue - so it was  easiest (but  hard on the
budget) to just pay for his lost colonies.   I couldn't really afford to
fight him in court.

Don't get me wrong - this can work, and can work very well.  But, it  takes
effort and there are costs that  someone has to pay.  I actually  enjoyed
doing the Seattle work, would do it again, IF there  was a budget  to cover
costs.

Jerry