From:
Scott Koppa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2018 22:06:30 -0400
Thank you gents, I appreciate it. It is interesting. I was aware that:

> nonspecific dsRNA-triggered antiviral response pathway(s)...play a role in honey bee antiviral defense.

but not the cause, which you so nicely clipped here, Pete

> Many viruses generate long dsRNA molecules during their replication cycle. Long dsRNA molecules are not a typical product of eukaryotic gene expression, so they serve as triggers of eukaryotic antiviral immune responses

My confusion was in part thinking that replication would follow the same process as hepatitis C, a flavivirus (also +ssRNA). After reviewing the process in the picornavirus, it is clear that there are significant differences. However, I am still baffled why one would need a specific ds intermediate, as you describe Randy, when the honeybee does not display adaptive immunity? (certainly there is no antibody production) I would think that any old "long dsRNA molecule" would do to incite the innate response.

Skillman, NJ