From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:26:55 -0400
Mike provided a link:

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/facts
heet_006476.htm

Nowhere at this site is there a mention of wax moth.  So I wonder if
Larry might have the Bt strain incorrect OR if the site simply failed to
mention wax moth.  What is the strain of Bt in Certan (the product
marketed for wax moth control)?

Googling around, the only reference I can find for the registered wax
moth control (so far) is The Beeworks (as already stated in previous
posts and well documented in the BEE-L archives).  David has long left
this forum so I doubt he will see the current discussion.  In my search
I find a warning from Malcolm Sanford, "be aware that ... the material
is not registered in the United States as far as I can tell, and so
cannot be legally used. Always check to ensure chemicals can be legally
used and they have an appropriate label before purchasing them."

Quoting further from Malcolm (from
http://apis.ifas.ufl.edu/apis_2001/apjan_2001.htm), "A few years back, a
biological control was found for wax moth. This was a specific strain of
bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis that proved deadly to wax moth
larvae. The formulated product called Certan® was effective against moth
larvae when applied as a spray on combs, but because of little demand
for the product at the time, it was discontinued."  Given the recent Bee
Culture article about the residues of Pdb in honey, perhaps the Bt
control will come back into favor and demand will grow to the point that
it will be financially viable in the States.  Unfortunately I imagine
the "food use registration" has lapsed in the years the product has been
off the market and once again US beekeepers will have their access to a
safer, effect product denied.

Aaron Morris - thinking I'm from the gummit and I'm here to help!