From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2011 09:03:15 -0500
On 12/10/2011 7:38 PM, Steve Sweet wrote:
> Mike-
> On the topic of natural solutions, try a poultice of bees wax dissolved in
> warm turpentine (3 beeswax to 1 turpentine) and then add one part camphor
> oil.

I think I'll go for this, sent to me from a beekeeper in Maine...I have
an apiary that has this plant growing along a bear fence. Have to cut it
anyway, and I'll be picking up my fencers, batteries, and solar panels soon.
Mike

If you can identify Red Osier Dogwood
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=COSE16 the bark is very good
for taking away itch. Now through early spring is the time of year to
collect the bark because you want the leaves off the stems. Scrape the
bark off the stem using a sharp straight edged knife holding the blade
straight up and down so you do not dig into the pith of the stem, put
the bark in a jar and put olive oil over it right away so it doesn't dry
out, just enough olive oil so none of the bark is sticking out. Cover
the jar and to hasten the process put this in a really warm place or in
a dip crock pot, one that is made to heat dips, they are really small
and not extremely warm like a cooking crock pot.With out the crock pot
it will take a couple of weeks to infuse you could also make
a small batch in a really low heat oven, you do not want the oil to
simmer. You can make the infused oil in a about 6 hours with heat. We
(Wabanaki people) call this plant Red Willow, it really is the best
thing going for itchy things or irritated skin. You may to need to rub
the oil in twice a day if it is something really irritated.

My Mi'Kmag culture has taught me a lot about plants and the
healing abilities they have. I hope you have the time to make some of
this oil because it works better than most anything you could buy. Add
some Vit D oil and keep it in a dark bottle and you will have it through
out the year, the oil does go rancid over time so it is best to make
just enough for the year.

Red Willow bark is also smoked to cure headaches, the bark of this plant
has many uses.

My bee yards are loaded with ticks too.

Karen T-K (Mi'Kmaq or Micmac)
Maine