From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 13:07:44 -0500
On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:14:22 -0600, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Building an organic  business on the notion the area will always be mite
>free does seem a bit risky.

I will have several options "when" it happens,

first the area is so remote (handful of year around inhabitants, no utilities either) and so void of
any beekeepers that one infested yard would not take down all of the yards right away.

if that were to happen pulling an infested yard out in fall and moving it south would be an option.
the likelihood of swarms making it in a very northern climate is less likely also.

its also a question i'd like to answer in the next few years ...do we have any so called feral colonies
in this area.

if I'm starting with mite free stock and there is no one around for 35-70 miles, I see no reason
why I cannot remain isolated as this group of beekeepers has for the last 15-20 years. its not what
most keeepers would see as a highly productive season or area so as long as no one moves in with
"southern" bees we should be ok for a while.

2nd mites and organic certification are not mutually exclusive. the certification houses I listed do
allow the use of formic, oxalic and thymol, plus as noted on this board resistant stock is
improving all of the time and we may have readily available stock in the future.

right now being able to run clean bees is a cost advantage (plus a walk down memory lane)  as
they really will not need the same support from a beekeeper as mite infested colonies do.  in fact
if I pull honey in august they are on there own after wrapping til next may. a far cry from the
monkey business we have to do with mite drop testing, early fall treatment and then OA treatment
in broodless period here in farm country.