From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:09:46 EST
I suspect that the main difference between CCD and the fall of 2004 is
timing, economics.  In 2004, overall low numbers of bees combined with a  lack of
communication between the growers and beekeepers created a  shortfall.  At the
then going price of $35-38 per colony, beekeepers  weren't shipping bees from
the east coast to CA.

When the price tripled, bees started coming to CA from far away.  Last  year,
Australian bees were added to the mix.  So last year and this, there  were
many more colonies in CA, buffered the need.

CCD has been playing out all year.  Those who had the problem in  spring,
early summer, maybe even early fall managed to recover.  Just  before Christmas,
there was a projected surplus of bees in CA.  Best  that I can tell, almonds
were adequately covered.  As the Feb 14 deadline  neared, there was some
scrambling, more planes out of Australia, calls to east  coast, Bob H. admitted on
this forum that he sent last minute bees.

I'll be out in a few days to look.  Conversations with folks in CA --  no
severe shortage, but no surplus either.  There have been some continued
collapses in the groves; beekeepers are working hard to fill in to make up  any
shortages.

Overall, in terms of the 2.6 million colonies in the U.S., the losses,  while
moderate to severe for many beekeepers, putting at least two large
operations out of business (at least that's what these beekeepers said to us),  are
still a small portion of the total number of beekeeping operations in the
country.

As a clarification, the general (state shaded in maps) that we  produce are
intended as a history of the CCD, where its been, is at,  hopefully where its
going.  Just because a state is listed does not mean  that there is any
widespread or current CCD outbreak in that state.   The maps cover the whole of the
U.S. and a 12 month period.  Shaded states  are places this has been observed
since last spring.

The maps are part of our attempt to determine whether this is contagious,
and whether factors such as clmiate trigger collapses.

Jerry

http://www.aol.com.

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:                                       *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm                               *