From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2015 05:34:15 -0700

> >Not sure about that. Recent work tends to show that complete control of
> varroa is the best course of action to keep levels low. A more relaxed IPM
> strategy may not be wise in this case

I of course agree with you in principle Pete.  However, no one manages
"complete" control of varroa--there are always a few mites around. And by
"natural" I didn't mean to imply any relaxation of varroa IPM, but rather
the methods of controlling mite populations.

> >Results point to a conflict between beekeeping practice
> and the selection of Varroa resistant honey bees.

Absolutely!  And this is my quandary as a breeder.  My sons and I spend
quite a bit of time discussing how to deal with this.

> > Hence, high bee densities combined with ineffective treatment
> will not only increase the risk of colony damage
> but might also select for more virulent Varroa mites.

Although I have the highest respect for Frey and Rosenkranz, I question
their last hypothesis.  The more severely varroa is controlled, the greater
the selection pressure for virulence.  It would be in an uncontrolled
population that natural selection might select for  avirulence.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA