From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:52:11 -0600
Hello Dee & All,
Dee said:
Want to let Bob Harrison know that I liked his informative
reply.

Thanks Dee! I have tried to give insight to the list on many topics
concerning the commercial and commercial migratory beekeeper.

Every year at this time I make time to read old beekeeping books. Today I
was rereading a 1913 edition of the 1888 "Langstroth on the Hive & Honey
Bee"
Because the book is now on line in the new virtual library (Cornell
Univ..)all can follow along.
My copy is not pristine and in poor condition but very readable. For those
unfamiliar with the text I will share the fact that each section in numbered
and in parenthesis is often another number which directs the reader to
another section of similar interest and at times several sections.

On page 103 of the above book under the section "comb" Langstroth makes an
observation which might spark a discussion from my friend and fellow reader
of old bee books Dee Lusby.

The number section in my copy is 217.

Langstroth quote from his book:

"The cells in which workers are reared are the smallest. Those in which the
drones are reared are larger. *It is generally admitted that five
worker-cells measure about a linear inch, or twenty -five cells to the
square inch, BUT THIS IS INCORRECT. IF five worker cells measured exactly an
inch, the number contained in a square inch would be about twenty-nine. As
they are usually somewhat larger, the average number in a square inch IS a
trifle over twenty-seven."

Using my calculator the above puts cell size at the time of the books
writing (1888) *according to Langstroth* as closer to 5.1mm to 5.2mm. than
as has been suggested by 4.9ers as 4.9mm.

I have read many old bee books and Langstroth's book before but never
remember reading the above observation by Langstroth. Langstroth was noted
for his accurate observations in the bee hive. I believe Langstroth is the
only writer of old bee books to question the statement  which is common in
every other old bee book I have read which states worker cells ARE "five
cells to the inch".
It is interesting that Langstroth clearly says " five cells to the inch is
INCORRECT".
Interesting that over a hundred years later we still can not agree on what
is the correct size of worker cells today and especially not what was the
correct size for the 1880's.
I hope Ed is doing better Dee and thought I would give you and the 49 ers
something to ponder.
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to the list!
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri