Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:48:20 +0100
Picked up an abandoned hive yesterday consisting of

roof
crown-board
shallow of drawn comb with uncapped honey in bottom cells
queen excluder
shallow  with brood and food on tan comb .
queen excluder
deep  of dark/black comb heavy with stores
floor

The bees seem to be foraging well and the planting in their new home is
plentiful and diverse.  I'm reluctant to disturb them now that it's past
midsummer, they seem to getting on so well, and they have managed to survive
in this condition for a couple of years.  But at the same time I would like
to get them onto manageable equipment instead of the propolised old stuff,
and feel that if there is anything I can do to help them through the winter
it should be done.
Should I just take out the lower queen excluder to give them more brood
space before winter and move them onto new manageable foundation next year?
Should I place the shallow brood filled frames onto the top of a deep full
of foundation and place the dark stores on top with a queen excluder
inbetween?
 Or is there a better solution?  There is plenty of forage in the vicinity
and the flow is good on the sunny days. South UK.

a floor ,
a deep filled with dark comb plenty of stores but no signs of brood.  A
queen excluder a