From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2014 09:20:56 -0800
>Previously, it was thought that all bee behavior is innate, they are born
with it.

This concept still holds true in general.  The genome holds the
instructions for all behaviors;  what changes is the regulation of the
expression of the potential behaviors.  And also the initiators for such
behaviors.

A bee that lacks sensory cells tuned to cadaverine or putrescine would
likely not initiate hygienic behavior, since it would never be stimulated
to initiate it, despite possessing the genes to do so.

ALL bees also have the potential to engage in extreme colony defense
attacks.  But for the lines that we keep, we've bred for those with high
response thresholds, and thus the suite of genes involved in attacking and
stinging are not activated.

And we've learned that this regulation of behaviors can be passed from
generation to generation via epigenetic mechanisms.  It is also regulated
by any number of environmental cues, including pheromones, diet,
temperature, odors, disturbance, etc.

>We have spoke here in the past about the concept of dividing colonies to
propagate their traits, instead of making nucs and using breeder queens to
requeen them.

This is not an either or case.  I split the difference and make my nucs
using at least 25 chosen breeder queens each season in order to maintain
genetic diversity in my stock.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA