From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 2009 14:07:44 -0400

The most interesting experiments in this area were done by Dennis Murrill,
who found that cell size varies with season, as does the bees size. Bees
were smaller in winter and larger in summer. Cell size in the brood nest
also varied from small to large, with the smaller cells about in the center
of the frame and the cells got larger the further you moved from the center.

It amazed me that discussion could get this far without mentioning the
above. Thanks Bill. Bees build what they need at the time. Small in the
center of the brood nest when the cluster is small. Larger on the outer
periphery for storage of honey and pollen. Since some of these larger cells
will be used for brood-rearing as the nest expands, this humble person
suggests that bees of all sizes is as close to normal as we can get.

Dick