From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 22:27:30 -0700
waldemar:

> Does fireweed pop up in post-fire areas in Arizona like in
> some other parts of the west?  How long do fire-ravaged
> areas by you take to recover to provide surplus honey
> again?

Reply:
Fireweed is up in the hills down the whole rocky mountain range into Mexico even. But last year were cactus and older trees made it thru the big fire burning over 8,000 acres, but with much dead limbs this year due to last years fire. This year's fire is now getting rid of these trees using the dead limbs for fuel to finish the act, so many oak, sycamore, and pine, besides acacia and older cactus are gone. As to how long to recover to provide surplus honey again, well it takes a full monsoon season to get ground cover going  for the next season, not the one currently in. So where bees were just staring to get rolling again by March/April after I fed them real honey for going into winter, since new growth during monsoon wasn't enough, fast enough, will now have to watch three yards again for about 80 hives again. They were just coming on strong and lots of brood and honey going in when I worked them up week prior to fire. Now, they gotta hold the brood
 even if it means consuming the honey they were putting in to have then enought to run for main flow, which is now gone with second fire thru trees in high country, and monsoon needed to recover the groundcover again.......so will watch and see how far they can fly, and if they can do it..........For 2,000 acres is less then 8,000 acres and the bees being smaller can fly further. so will Watch adn see where things go, then act accordingly.

Dee A. Lusby