From:
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 1995 10:15:57 -0600
Hi:

We anticipate receiving funding on May 1, 1995 for a project that will
provide 30 months of Graduate Research support (@$17,000 per year to
start, increasing to $19,000) plus travel, supplies, etc.  If this
project comes through (which is likely), we need a GRA who is well versed
in computer programming, modeling, and electronics.  This person would
work with a research group studying the effects of environmental
stressors on honey bees (i.e., chemical pollutants, weather, disease,
mites, in environmental problems, population dynamics, ecotoxicology, chemistry, and
statistics).

This project took 3 years of review, negotiation, etc., and then came
through in a hurry.  The GRA has to be well versed in C language, PC
computers, some knowledge of modeling, and able to write code to
interface electronic sensors with PCs.  Knowledge of biology and bees
helpful, but not required.

Ideally, we would like to find a graduate student interested in bees
whose second area of interest is computer applications.  Realistically,
we may have to train a Computer Science student in the ways of bees.

The work is based in Missoula, MT for 1995.  Field work in 1996 will be
conducted in Maryland.  This is a very large, multi-disciplinary project.
We already have a laboratory/field manager for the apiculture aspects, a
Ph.D. candidate in Environmental Chemistry, several  undergraduate
research assistants, and the aforementioned faculty team.

Our preference is to recruit a student who will qualify for our Graduate
Programs.  However, we do not have a Graduate Program in Apiculture or
Entomology.  Computer Science has been sending us folders of qualified
applicants with strong computer backgrounds.  We would consider working
with a Graduate Student from another institution, if they had the
appropriate background in biology and computer science.  Summers would
have to be spent in Montana and Maryland, although some of the
course-work could be taken elsewhere.

This is an urgent request.  We expect to receive confirmation of the
award within the week.  We do have some applicants already, and we need
to start before the end of May.

We may also have a couple of months of Grad. Support available for this
summer.  We originally asked for an April 1 start.  Our first project and
budget period will run from May 1 through Sept. 30, 1995.  If we can't
fill the Grad. Position until late May, we will have "saved" 1-2 months
of salary, but we still have the same work needs, so may hire two
students for this coming summer.

Please contact us by e-mail or telephone - snail mail will be too late.

Jerry J. Bromenshenk
Project Director
The University of Montana
Missoula, MT  59812-1002
Tel:  406-243-5648
Fax:  406-243-4184
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

P.S.  We are accepting also Work-Study Applicants and volunteers.  We
currently are not hiring any more "Hourly" technicians, since we have
many students who are currently working for us and who comprise an
existing pool of employees and candidates for non-graduate positions.
So, please do not flood us with applications for positions other than
that described.