Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:10:30 GMT+0200
Hi Charles/All

Charles you mentioned that you wondered what would happen if you
placed an excluder at the entrance of your hives.

For a while in SA people did that - some still do - it cloggs up with
drones, and if your hive bodies begin to rot the bees chew a hole
through the back.

I was given two hives like this and set them up - as long as they are
not producing drones it is ok - if they swarm the bees leave and hang
on a tree and then come back.

They do however chew the drones up that get stuck, and then raise
more on a continuos basis - I suspect that this is energy expensive.

Keep well

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey

After careful consideration, I have decided that if I am ever a V.I.P
the I. may not stand for important.
(rather influential, ignorant, idiotic, intelectual, illadvised etc)