From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 11:46:26 -0500
John Mitchell wrote:

> >From Sci.Ag.beekeeping:
> <<Hi everybody,
>
> OK, I understand that if varroa was a problem parasite for bumblebees, we
> would know about it by now probably. But is there any research, eyewitness
> accounts or scientific evidence that bumblebees are vectors, or carriers, of
> varroa or tracheal mites?
 I don't believe we really know all the ways varroa is transported
around the world or even across countrys. Many theorys are out there.
Bees as the carriers are first thought of but in the U.S. even apiaries
in remote areas ended up with varroa. i believe varroa free bumble bees
are possible for introduction but tracheal mite free might be tricky.

I believe of varroa was a serious pest to the bumble bee we would see
less bumble bees in Missouri. On the other hand i believe if varroa were
on Bumble Bees in our area i believe the varroa could drasticly reduce
Bumble Bee populations. The reason being only the queen winters over in
Missouri. Rest die off in winter and varroa would die with them. If the
queen winters deep in the ground for months with varroa feeding on her
then i would be surprised if she would be alive in the spring.
Only my opinion John and my opinion is not regarded very highly in
scientific circles. He He

i would really miss those Bumble Bees as i have laughed so hard that
tears come to my eyes at these farmers and their Bumble Bee "BITE"
stories! They allways come to me with their tales of Bumble Bee terror!
Mowing and hay baleing time is the worst they say! Have to keep a
straight face dealing with the good ole boys!
Bob Harrison U.S.A.