From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 17:17:11 -0500
Chris said:
> When I first took up beekeeping a third of a century ago I was taught
> that,
> to be effective, an application of Fumidil needs to be followed up with a
> complete change onto foundation or comb that has been sterilized with
> acetic  acid fumes at the earliest opportunity. Otherwise re-infection
> will
> rapidly take  place.

The above is so important! Every deadout which returns to my shop gets a
treatment to kill nosema spores.

The method we use is to clean frame rails. burr comb and remove inferior
comb. Then we spray a light spray of Clorox solution.

acetic acid would be the second choice but takes longer and costs are
higher.

we have reused frames treated with  a light Clorox solution spray after a
couple days with no problems.

When I have told other beeks about the method a few have said they have been
using a light Clorox solution for decades on deadouts!

bob