From:
Tom Speight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:53:17 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest
processor <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I would suspect that mites are not like ticks, in that they need to feed
>regularly.  However, they are very mobile, and might well get back into
>the hive.  Why not use Dave's bottom board support (which is fully
>enclosed, if I understand it right) and coat the inside of it with
>vaseline (petroleum jelly) or some other similar product?  The mites
>would fall through the mesh below the hive, then be unable to get back
>because of the greasy hive support and soon die off.  Ants also would
>not be able to get in because of the petroleum jelly.
That's how the floors work in the UK.
They stick on the petroleum jelly or a piece of fablon placed sticky
side up. If the fablon is placed directly on the hive floor, with strong
garden mesh, old QX or similar to hold it down, the bees do not stick to
it but there is the chance of a bee inadvertently picking up a mite as
it walks across.
From what I understand, mites can survive for about four days away from
a host.
The beekeeping suppliers sell sticky inserts ready marked off in one
inch squares making it easier when counting the mite drop.
--
Tom S