From:
Stuart E Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 01:29:30 EST
Me...
 I had to kill a lawn
> last September and had applied roundup. The lawn was covered in
> Dandelions and with all my best efforts I couldn't avoid spraying a
>lot
> of bees. The honeyflow hereabouts in June is R. procerus/discolor
>which
> is the king of weeds<g> and unlikely to be effected much by the
>roundup
> but I thought the bees might suffer.

You...
> Birds and bees and snails all benefit from dandelions, yet for some
>reason we think of them as a noxious weeds that must be irradicated.

Harry,

I have nothing against dandelions(I was only explaining why there were so
many bees on the lawn). My contract stipulated I must kill the old lawn,
cover to 4 inches with topsoil, level and apply seed.  I would not do it
that way again but I thought the best way to ask about  Roundup was to
demonstrate from my own experience that bees were gonna get sprayed if
the product was applied between dawn and 6pm in June.  From what has been
said, I should not think a bee would be sprayed if the spraying were
required to be done after 6(its light 'til 10).

I appreciate those of you who have responded.  Currently the discussion
seems to have moved into the philosophical debate stage.  That debate
probably needs to take place BUT it doesn't answer my original question.

What happens to a bee sprayed with the herbicide and can I require(by
State law) that there be restrictions as to time of day?  I'm in
Washington and thought we had the State Apiarist in our membership.  I
don't need conversion to a point of view so much as I need practical
tools in order to treat with the County Manager.

...Stuart

 American football is the combination of the worst of our society;
 Violence interrupted by committee meetings! (George Will)