From:
Elizabeth Petofi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:31:16 -0400
When I became a beekeeper a zillion aeons ago (like last February in
another lifetime) I didn't anticipate how HEAVY beehives are, especially
with bees and/or honey in them.  I have observed through some punitive
lessons that bees don't have much of a sense of humor when their hive
parts are dropped with them in them.

Please advise -- What tricks have aging or physically deteroriating
beekeepers developed for lifting or carrying or moving or changing bee
hive parts?  Like designs for retirement bee hives?

Any helpful hints earnestly solicited and gratefully received!!!!!  Now
I have my bees I love them.  But keeping two deeps and swapping them is
just not feasible or realistic for me.  Ugh!  Can't do it!  Can't hardly
carry a super with honey in it.

Also, and I hope this is not a silly question, but does everybody put
all their hive parts together themselves and insert the foundation etc?
I mean, what do beekeepers with hundreds or even thousands of hives do
about frames and foundations?  What secrets do competent and successful
and happy bees beekeepers know that if I only also knew, my newly
complicated life would be made easier?

Thanks!

Elizabeth Petofi with bees in Orange County Virgina