Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 19:35:37 -0600
Hello Judy, David & all,

I've been using a MUCH easier method to destroy robbing yellow-jacket
hordes.  Read my post on this subject in the alt.sci.beekeeping
news group or below:

Take a bottle & fill it 3/4 the way full of water (I use Arizona Ice-Tea

bottles....as the neck works perfectly to keep them inside the bottle)
and then add approx. 10-20% of raspberry or blackberry jam (about 6
tablespoons to an Arizona Ice-Tea bottle).  Place the bottle anywhere
around the hive.  Yellow jackets seem to prefer to climb into
hard-to-reach places so I've had the best luck in placing bottles about
3-4" under the landing boards (or behind the hive if you wish to attract

the pests AWAY from the hive opening).

Leave the bottle for a few days & return to find 100-200+ yellow jackets

drowned inside the bottle.  BE SURE to check the bottle every few days
as they'll be able to eat the jam-solution if there's so many dead
bodies there that they can remain afloat on top & fly away with your
'yummy' jam treat.  Bees will ignore the jam.  You could even place the
bottle inside the hive if you wish, though curious bees might find their

way to the same demise.

Good luck,
Matthew in Castle Rock, CO