From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 21:46:26 -0400
I take great delight in dispelling 'old wives tales' where possible, if it adds to my
knowledge, and I'm about to do another one.
        My old mentor taught, and for years I believed it, 'Queens will not pass
over honey to lay eggs'. Not true.
        A three box (deeps) brood hive to which was added a full box of drone
foundation (deep) to draw for next years queen rearing.
        Bottom box, brood in upper frame area, second box all brood, third box
brood in lower half of frames, sealed honey above. We checked that hive today
to see how they were doing, basically the hive configuration hadn't changed,
but we found brood and eggs in 3 of the drone foundation frames.
        Interesting? I think so. Anyone care to comment?

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, ON, Canada.
Phone- 705-326 7171.  Fax 705 325 3461.
North American agents. E.H.Thorne(UK)Ltd.
Ventilated Hives and Equipment
David Eyre... Owner
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks