From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 18:44:56 +1000
Aaron wrote

>  The specific anecdote I recall was that a
> dehumidifier in the honey room kept shb eggs from hatching.  Helps keep
the
> moisture content down in your honey too!

Having now been inflicted with the SHB, I have been doing a lot of reading
on the SHB.  One reference for the humidity is
www.barc.usda.gov/psi/brl/bd-shb.htm

To quote part "Our research has shown that reducing relative humidity below
50% where honey is stored will inhibit SHB eggs from hatching and thus
reduce or eliminate larval damage in honey."

As to hives in dry areas, if the humidity in the hive is kept up then the
eggs can hatch, larvae can develop.  The only question would be the pupation
in the ground.

If we can get our money for research out of Government, then we may be able
to answer some of these questions.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA