From:
andy sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:15:08 BST
Hi Tom,
You wrote

I have recently come across literature from Vita (Europe) Ltd advertising
Apiguard. The claim is that Apiguard is a near natural product which in
effect liberates Thymol into the hive using a gel system which controls the
degree of release.

The literature claims that this product is effective in controlling acarapis
woodi (Acarine) and also varroa.

Has anyone any experience in the use of this product.?

Sincerely

Tom Barrett

I am Secretary of the Oldham & District Beekeepers Association. We
were asked to try this in trials at our Association Apiary before it
went on general sale to see how good it was.
We used the Apiguard gel trays in the hive for up to the specified
time ( Although as it also works at a certain Temperature and above
it cannot be used very late in the year).
The results were very good and we also used it for testing any swarms
we collected last year, and within two days of putting the treatment
in the fall was significant.
I have used Apistan this year, but many members chose to use Apiguard
and were just as impressed.
Hope this helps

Andy

Andy Sutherland                                                                                                                                                                                         E-Mail:- [log in to unmask]
Manchester University                                                                                                                   Tel:- 0161 275 4641
Electronics Section                                                                                                                                                                             Fax:- 0161 275 4598
Chemistry Dept
M13 9PL