From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2008 12:00:09 +1000
Chris wrote
  > Try not using foundation apart from starter strips. I found that 'wiring' the frames with nylon fishing line rather than metal wire usually results in the bees incorporating it > in their comb ok; however nowadays I don't usually bother to use any sort of wire.  As always, when letting bees build their own comb, the hive must be level.

  Starter strips are no good for me in that they build a lot of drone comb where the space is and I want brood combs that produce workers and not drones.  I just put in empty frames in a hive to get them to draw drone comb for me to use in the drone colonies for our queen rearing operation.  No worker cells are drawn in these drone combs.  They need the foundation to draw workers cells.

  How would you imbed the fishing line?  It does not conduct electricity so using a battery charger, as I do with wire foundation, is out of the question.

  Trevor Weatherhead
  AUSTRALIA