Date:
Wed, 4 May 2011 07:20:52 -0400
>I have used the Beetle Jail Jr. with unsatisfactory results. Please
provide proven eradication methods.

Ivan, I have found predatory nematodes give good control of SHB. I'm
surprised, given the answers I've seen here, that others apparently either
haven't tried nematodes or have not had success with them -- I'd be
interested in hearing others' experiences. I'm on a fairly sandy soil in
Western NC. and I use screened bottom boards.

 SHB pupates in the soil, so treating the soil around the hives will
interrupt the breeding cycle. If your hives are on a clay soil, you may
need a higher population of nematodes. If it's a dry period, keep the
soil around the hives damp for a couple of weeks until they get
established. Be sure to get the correct species, but a Google search on
small hive beetle +nematodes will get you plenty of information.

Regards,
Diotima