From:
Phil Veldhuis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 1994 00:24:14 -0600
ADC Administor insightfully writes:

> After carefully putting
> them in seperate bee boxes, and waited until night fall, I moved them
> back into my yard 5 feet away from the other hives.
>
> The next day I watched them busilly working, as if they were still
> on that tree. (ie. they did not go back to the tree.) I would've thought
> that 2, or atleast 5 days were suficient for them to imprint their
> hives' locality.

Normally, several hours is sufficient.  Notice also that you didn't
notice any drift back to the parent collony.

Swarms are very sensitive to conditions of the colony.  After all, they
are "on the move" and so should be sensitive to changes in location.  The
swarms that hang in trees are only interim locations until a suitalbe
cavity is found.  When you hived the swarms, they located to the new
location and started making a home.

--
------------oooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo-------------
Phil Veldhuis           |  "if something is not worth doing,