From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 05:00:23 -0700
  [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

> I am not used to such rough handling of bees but suppose
> this is how commercial beekeepers go through hives.

Hello Dean,

Could you please comment on the propolis usage in those colonies you inspected?

I do not know what is expected for bees in desert areas as far as the environmental influence on propolis usage are concerned.  I DO realize it was spring there, and therefore,  propolis usage I would expect to be more nearer to much lower than nearer to much higher.  But it appears to me these colonies were either recently manipulated priory, Or propolis usage in that area is much nearer to none than nearer to some. ;)

In observing the video, I was rater astounded to see that a quick half second wedge of a frame with the hive tool was all that was needed to jar completely free, the frames.  And the pulling of frames by gripping from the center with one hand is NEVER possible in my area at any time of season due to propolis usage and weighted-ness.  It always necessitates two hands to implement the procedure here, even in spring.  And the ease in which the hives were pried apart indicated the hives were not propolised, and weighted to the low side.   I‘m not sure, and I‘m not watching the video again, BUT did I see a few frames being pulled out two at a time from the box?,,,Or am I mistaken?  Please elaborate on the propolis usage in that desert environment.

Best Wishes,
Joe

Be a better friend, newshound, and