From:
Edward Sterling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 1995 01:43:22 -0400
Question from an amateur:

I bought 2 packages in April, set each hive up using a single deep super.
Checked them
today and all is well....capped brood cells, developing larvae, eggs, etc. I
had 5
old frames with comb for each hive, the other 5 frames are brand new with
foundation
only. The bees are slowly building out the foundation.

When do you usually add the second deep super? It would seem like you would
want to
do that quite early to avoid a swarm. I would appreciate some guidelines on the
timing and factors relating to adding the second brood chamber.

Any point in continuing to feed them syrup? I made a large bucket of it and
I am not sure
if it will keep until Fall. Given that honeycomb build-out is a critical
task for
the hives at this point, is it helping them to provide close-by nourishment?
Given that the blossom season is here, are they going to ignore the syrup and
just go foraging instead?

Thanks for replies, public or private!

Ed
Ed Sterling, GPCC       | ACTUAL quotes from my kids: "Daddy, hummingbirds
Bolton, MA 01740 USA    | help the bees put honey in the flowers!" "In the
Phone/FAX: 508-779-6058 | daytime, the sun melts the moon into cloudpieces!"
 "[log in to unmask]" | "A snowman makes the quietest sounds in the world"
Wish you had a favorite childhood toy from the 1950s/60s/70s back again?
Barbie? GI Joe? Fanner 50? Girder and Panel? See http://www.ultranet.com/~ed