Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:43:42 GMT
>>...highest mite drop counts in August when there were still near-peak
brood levels.  ...after a complete 3-part sucrocide treatment I found higher mite levels than when I started.

My observations concur with yours, Eric.  Last August, I treated my heavily-infested hives with sucrocide per the instructions.  I made sure that practically every bee was soaked with the solution.  In fact, the solution got into the cells and killed some of the young larvae (no larvae seen in some of the same areas during the next treatment).  I continued to see mites and DWS bees into November.

I think I got the mites that were exposed to the sucrocide solution.  I assumed that, following each treatment, the mites from emerging cells without a delay re-entered cells being capped avoiding exposure during the next treatment.

Since bees cap cells every day, it's not practical to treat everyday.  I've come to the conclusion that sucrocide is probably quite effective on broodless bees or swarms.  The only problem is that no one has broodless bees from spring to fall.  At least in my area.

I followed the instructions to the letter.  But perhaps I missed something?

Waldemar