Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 12:38:32 -0700
According to a speaker from the University of Guelph (Sorry, I cannot recall
his name) at the march meeting of the Michigan Beekeepers association,
Formic acid does indeed cause the nails and wire to rust out.  He didn't
mention how long it takes.
    I inquired at several beekeeping supply places, and nobody seems to be
carrying stainless steel nailsor wire for frames.  All I was able to find at
local hardware stores were very large- the smallest could be used for hive
bodies, but nothing small enough for frames. These nails are also a lot more
expensive than regular nails!
    I called several Nail manufacturers, and after contacting several, was
given the name of one nail supplier who carried small sizes of stainless
nails- problem was that the smallest order quantity was way too large for my
needs.  I gave the information to Lapp Bee supply in Wisconsin
(1-800-321-1960)  They seemed willing to consider stocking them if there was
interest from enough beekeepers.

    I am not a chemist, but we use formic acid in the Lab that I work in,
and the heavy, coated,  metal waste disposal cans we use rust out fairly
quickly.  (A year or two)  The waste is a diluted solution of acetone and
other solvents, with a relatively small amount of formic acid.  This is a
highly caustic acid that is unpleasant and dangerous to work around- a whiff
of the fumes will burn the inside of your nose! Be carefull and wear acid
resistant gloves and a respirator when handling!

Ellen Anglin