From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:06:24 -0500
Lloyd Spear:
> in New York, where we have a regulation authorizing the Inspection Service
to kill bees found to be agressive (not requiring that they be killed, but
authorizing them to be killed (if necessary).

I am sure that as you re-read this, you will think, "that's not exactly
clear".  The way the NYS Law is written, it is illegal to keep African Bees,
but nobody would be forced to destroy bees just because they're mean. By the
way, anyone can kill their own bees, if they think it's necessary.

I found an extremely mean one this summer, and the procedure is: Send a
sample to have it analyzed. If the Bee Lab says it's African, then the
beekeeper is supposed to destroy the bees with an Apiary Inspector there to
see that it is done correctly and they don't move the hive into the woods
somewhere.

pb