From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 13:00:23 +0000
> > > Last year I was stung on both the head and neck with very little swelling
> > >and itching.  Can someone develop an intolerance to bee venom after time?
> > > Should I go to the doctor and be tested for bee venom allergies?  Someone
> > >know says that he became severely allergic to bee venom over time - first a
> > >small reaction, then a subsequent sting or stings sent him to the hospital.
> > > Help, please!

> However, don't be *too* alarmed. Many people swell up quite badly for
> their first few stings, and very worrying it seems too (I know ;-).
> Usually the rection starts to go away again after a while.
>
> Note that some doctors get confused over what is and what is not an
> alergic reaction. It's best to talk with a doctor who knows the subject.

I couldn't agree more and I am really glad someone said it so well.

Even beekeepers of twenty years or more swell a bit with the first
stings of the year or on parts where they are seldom stung.  Swelling
is entirely normal.  Unfortunately even some doctors don't know that.
(There is so much to know).

I had a young friend who liked to help me move hives at night many
years ago.  He swelled so badly sometimes that he couldn't hold a pen
to write at school the next day ;)

Darn!

Anyhow, allergies can and do happen, but unless you are seeing the
more typical symptoms of allergy, ie.  breathing difficulty, nausea,
swelling or hives at a site that was not adjacent to the sting (eg. foot
swells when stung on hand), unease, panic and unreasonable emotional
disturbance, etc., there is likely no real concern.

If you think you are becoming allergic, you must consider how close
to medical help you are.  In extreme cases death can occur in 10
minutes, however this is extreme and quite unusual.

An epi-pen or benadryl can help relieve the symptoms temporarily,
but there is no substitute for seasoned and experienced medical attention.

There are hazards in the inexperienced using either that may exceed
the real or imagined dangers of the sting itself.

My understanding is that allergic reactions, while alaming, are not usually
fatal even without treatment, *but* who wants to find out if he is the one.

When our son showed signs of allergy, we drove to the hospital and -
being ever frugal - sat outside to see what occurred.  The symptoms
subsided and we left.

Later he was stung again and the scary reactions naturally diminished to
the point where he is now a beekkeeper!

Beekeepers be stung regularly to avoid developing allergy.

I think we need a FAQ on this.  Volunteers?

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                  VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
Honey, Futures,and Art <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>