From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 13:08:39 -0700
> Hello Allen,
> I have tried to search the Archives on several occasions, and don't get
> through. I tried from your web site at the bee links.  What am I doing
> wrong? How do I do a search of key words,on the Bee-l?

I get enquiries like this from time to time and figure that I should
explain here, since the archives are so important to BEE-L, and the
ability to search them is essential for intelligent participation in this
group.

I gather that the writer had come across my old web page at
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/logs.htm where I used to have the BEE-L
logs when we first decided to try to make them more accessible.

You see, the LISTSERV at CNSIBM.ALBANY. EDU only maintains logs back for
several years and then they are removed to make space.   Some of the older
logs had been displaced by that time from the list server and as I recall,
the only remaining copies were those that some members found maintained in
personal archives, so put them on my web server
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/logs.htm   I suspect that this page is
now confusing people.  Read on...

Some time later, I sent all the logs to Adam when they got too big for me
to store, and I think the entire history -- up to this year -- is now in
the archive at Sunsite http://sunsite.unc.edu/bees/  The balance *is* on
the LISTSERV at CNSIBM.ALBANY. EDU, but it only maintains logs back for
several years.  So, you can see there is some overlap between the LISTSERV
and Sunsite.

I would suggest you use http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/beel.htm for most of
your searches.  This will access all the info on the LISTSERV.  If you
wish to read back further, then go to http://sunsite.unc.edu/bees/  At
that site, you can load individual logs into your browser and search them
locally.

http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/beel.htm should be self explanatory.  If not,
or if you have had trouble with it, please bring the problems up for
discussion.  Searching the list archives is a very important ability for
anyone who wishes to participate in BEE-L, since it is only polite to see
what has been said on a topic before bringing it up.  The logs are our
FAQ.

Hope this helps.

Allen