From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:25:05 -0500
Dee wrote:

> This is true to a large degree. Namely that smallest cells
> are in the broodnest and the combs near the periphery are
> larger drone/honey storage cells somewhat. But actually
> even in keeping this in mind, it IS NOT difficult to get
> bees to draw one size consistently across a whole frame
> which can be interchangeable and used throughout the whole
> colony. Normally these are the workerbrood combs that are
> drawn consistant in the very center of the broodnest.

Actually, it is becoming obvious by most, who are using the 4.9 foundation,
that it is difficult to get full frames of drawn comb that is true 4.9 in
cell size. This is how this whole discussion came up on the BioBee list.
Some of us have tried putting foundation in the broodnest at the appropriate
time (spring when brooding is on the rise and pollen and nectar is
available), only to have it drawn poorly, or with cell sizes other than 4.9.

I'm not intending to poor cold water on the small cell issue, but I do want
to be open about what is happening with those going through this process, as
it is not just a simple matter of putting bees on small cell foundation and
all problems are over.

If one has a colony of bees already on 4.9 cell size and attempts are made
to get them to draw more comb of the same size by putting it into the brood
area and they end up drawing it larger, what does this say? Why shouldn't we
let them draw the larger cell size if this is what they are wanting to do at
that point in time? Perhaps they feel they have enough small brood cells for
their needs and now honey cell size is what they need. Can we not let them
have roughly the two sizes for the different needs? Will they not be able to
manage these two sizes themselves? Has this ever been studied to see if they
will handle the mite just fine while still using both small and large cells
within the hive?

Most agree that it's the small cells that have been missing in our hives for
many years. Does that mean now that all the cells in the hive need to be
small, or will simply adding this missing size back into the hive be enough
to bring them back into balance? If it is so hard to get hives made up of
all 4.9 comb, maybe we should look closer at why this is.

Regards,
Barry