From:
Jim Osborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 1994 23:28:40 -0800
Ray Lackey <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>We talked about the Yugoslavian mit-resistant queens and the Steve
>Tabor mite resistant queens but the feeling was that the areas they
>were coming from deffinitly have mites.  Not all areas of LI have
>mites. Why invite trouble?

Are Tabor's queens from Yugoslavian stock?  Just curious.  One of my
colonies is Tabor; the other two are Buckfast.  The Tabors are much
more aggressive (they taught me to mind that last inch of zipper on
the veil of my new Sherriff suit!) and built up a much larger
population going into the winter.  We'll see how they do this season.

I should think that queens from mitey areas would be an advantage,
assuming measures are taken to ensure that the mites themselves
aren't shipped.  Isn't that what the little plastic strips on the
shipping cages are for?

Anyone know what potential resistance traits might be?  I've heard
of grooming behavoir.  I've also heard that Apis Cerana, who has an
arrangement worked out with varroa, has different mandibular anatomy
from Apis Mellifera.  Can anyone elaborate?

[log in to unmask]  Camano Island, WA, USA  206-629-3813