From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:30:13 -0400
At 10:56 PM 10/14/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Is this something I should be concerned about?  Are my reactions
>likely to diminish or might they continue the current trend of
>increasing in swelling and duration?  I feel like I'm being a bit of
>a wimp when I put my gloves on...  Any wise words on stings?

Always be prepared.  Even testing can't always accurately predict
how your next reaction will be.  So get yourself an epipen (your
doctor will prescribe it.)

In general most people gain some tolerance, but sometimes it does
go the opposite way.  But just a couple of reactions doesn't mean
you are getting worse.  I had two reactions last year that made me
pretty nervous (excessive swelling and some symptoms towards
anaphalactic shock), but this year my reaction is more mild than it
has ever been.  Other alergens (hayfeaver, other insect bites, etc.)
seemed to compound the reaction last year.

I do always wear my gloves and veil as those parts seem to react
much worse than the rest of my body. It may be better this year as
the time or two I was stung on my hands I had virtually no reaction,
but I'm not willing to take the chance yet.

In short, no one knows, so be prepared.

-Tim