From:
Lou Daveri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2010 01:27:06 +0000
Thank you for the very informative article.

Down here, at the other end of the universe, on Kangaroo Island, we are having an incredible swarming season which has started early and prolifically. It's almost Colony CREATION Disorder!!

On our 600 acre farm is surrounded on 3 sides by GM-free canola, and on the 4th side by cereal crops. Our farm has laid fallow this season, with only ovine grazing taking place. There are about 100 hives over the property, mostly with multiple supers, to take advantage of the canola flowering.

Normally, we find between 3 to 6 swarms per year, from November. This year, 2010, the swarms began in early September. I was busy bragging about 8 swarms in 2 weeks until we found a huge clump of bees 1m long by .5 metre deep which grew as it was being observed, to the point where the bough of the tree broke under the weight of the swarm. 10 trap hives were established within the hour, and since then, we have averaged 1 or 2  new swarms into a trap hive EACH DAY!

Our mentor, with 40 years international apiary experience, says he's never seen anything like it.

Other beeks on KI report similarly high numbers of swarms.

As to the science behind this large number of swarms: opinion is divided between the extensive canola on KI this season, or the country-wide drought-breaking rains over Winter (June-August).

Cheers,
Louisa on KI