From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2017 09:08:14 -0800

> > You want mold information on NON insulated hives?

Yes,other than top insulation.

What I'm hearing from this discussion, as well as those in previous years
is that a great deal of beekeeping practices are based upon heresay--such
as Ari's comment that everyone *believed* that breaking the propolis seal
would spell the death of colonies.  Until they actually did start regularly
breaking the seal, and found otherwise.

What I'm hearing is that in some areas, moisture buildup and mold does not
appear to be much of an issue.  I hear this from both very cold areas, as
well as warm-winter areas.  My impression so far is that there are only
certain areas in which in-hive moisture is a serious enough issue to
require upper ventilation.  If that is indeed the case, I'd like to know
which areas those are, so that I can check weather data to determine
whether there are specific indicators for moisture problems.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA