From:
George_Willy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 09:07:48 +0500
        As a child when working with the bakers in our family restaurant we
were always looking for the darkest honey we could find because the flavor
was stronger and would carry through the baking process better and because
of the color was prefered in the finished product.  The restaurant was a
german restaurant and produced stollen, leibkuken, specilatcious,
pefferneuis, springula and lots of other specialities.  Please excuse the
spelling of these cookies in that the restaurant no longer is and its been
a while.  In the European style of baking there are it seems the extreemly
fine pastrys with very light and delicate taste and texture or the heartier
pastrys and breads ment to nourish.  It is these heartier pastrys that I am
familiar with that used honey so dark that it resembled molassas. Another
reason for the use of honey in baked goods is that it is hydroscopic and
absorbs moisture and keeps a baked product fresher longer.  Not good for
cookies that need to be short and crisp but excellent for breads and moist
products. Please excuse my rambling on but if there is a surplus of
Ugandian honey exceptionly dark, the baking companys of Europe, Russa,
United States, and especally the Scandinavian countrys might be the answer.
Just one other thought with internet accessability and the amount of
people and free information out there so willing to help you should have no
problem in finding a market.
                Good luck
George

George & Lorraine Willy