From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2016 05:57:44 -0500
a Cam Bishop snip..
  How do we end up with wax moths each year here in
Canada and parts of USA with similar climates?  Do they migrate north?

my comments...
my good wife is the real scientist in the family... has a phd and studied behavior very early on with one of the fellows that won the nobel with the bee dance fellow.  she has done work on a long list of animals including wolfs, manatee, birds and bats.  she has several student a couple of years ago who studied bats (there are some large bat nesting sites over around Austin, Tx).... during one of these studies they discovered that insects (I seem to recall it was boll weevils) in the Rio Grande Valley would fly up to a fairly high altitude and then catch the prevailing winds which would wisk them away north.  seemed impossible at the time but 12 hours later these same bugs were hovering over Austin Texas where they were dinner for the bats.

this is not to suggest that overwintering is not possible but I have no doubt that some insects can 'migrate' over much greater distances than some might find imaginable.