From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 19:46:24 +0900
>I've ended up with some crystalised oil seed rape honey in some of
>my frames and was wondering about how to extract it.

This a recurring problem with rape or as it is more politically correctly
described now "canola".  In some seasons it cannot be avoided as if
conditions dry off there will be a delay in filling combs or if there are
numerous cool spells the flow will be on/off and in these cases candying
commences in the comb.  A warming room is good to prevent candying between
removal from hives and  extraction and this can be improvised with a fan
heater in the honey shed  if the room is sealed against draughts.

Once the frames are candied I have been unable to extract them.  The heat
required to liquify the honey would also melt all the comb.  I believe wax
melting point is 160 degrees C. but heating frames evenly is so difficult I
do not believe honey can be liquified in the comb without considerable leakage.

Prevention is the only action I can recommend.  We bring canola off the
hives and extract the next day, come what may.  Frames that have candied in
the hive we uncap and use for feeding swarms.

If the frames are freshly drawn, perhaps chunk honeycomb sold in granulated
form?

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island