From:
Rimantas Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 14:46:34 +0200
Dear Beefriends

I don't feel any breath of the Bee List last time therefore decided to check
if it still works.

On September, 7th we had a first meeting of our beekeepers with 2 lecturers
after summer brake.

One of them, Dr. Vytautas Kublickas reviewed the season results and told
about bee diseases, their prevention and treatment.

Strong bee colonies gave us the average yield. Many beekeepers were happy to
get 50% yield this year on account of the unusual weather conditions: first,
extremely early and hot spring, second, cool and rainy summer.

There were mentioned the main bee diseases in our country: Nosemathosis,
chalk brood, American and European foul brood and the Varroa mites. Some
more interesting ideas of Dr. Vytautas Kublickas follow.

****************

Nosemathosis goes along with moisture, a kind of wintering provision
(melliferous dew, buckwheat nectar), chemical poisons (farming). It's a
chronic disease. At least the hive should be cleaned and requeened. The bees
should be treated twice with Fumagilin. If the bees are not treated the
honey yield drops significantly. Dr. Vytautas Kublickas emphasizes that
Fumagilin, being an antibiotic, should not be used for disease prevention
because it causes the disbacteriosis, suppressing of the microflora, in
alimentary canal and the bee immunity system thus is weakened. This may be a
reason of chalk brood. For prophylaxis (while feeding for wintering) should
be used plants (Saint-John's-wort, wormwood). Some scientists say that
SJ-wort helps in sugar fermentation procedure and the excrement's amount
drops to minimum.

Why the bee diseases spread so widely? Dr. Vytautas Kublickas supports an
idea of the weakened immunity system due to human influence. The natural
selection of the bees was disturbed and the immunity system was damaged
(human selection, antibiotics, chemicals, etc). Some scientists try to
strengthen the bees using vitamin B12. B12 may be substituted with vitamin A
plus cobalt (bees produce the B12 themselves). The research work is held
abroad and in some local apiaries (including apiary of the speaker). The
research results were successful and Dr. Vytautas Kublickas invited our
beekeeper to take a part next year.

A proper feeding for winter is also very important. Usually we feed bees
with 60% sugar solution adding 10% of honey and some acid (vinegar or
citric). Such mixture should be let to stay for two weeks stirring it
periodically before feeding. The fermentation takes place. This let the
colony to meet winter full of strength.

I would like to know if there is anybody having experience with vitamin
adding to bee food. Maybe, some could point me the sites in the WEB
describing the experience with the vitamins.

Sincerely
Rimantas

e-mail : [log in to unmask]
ICQ# : 4201422